This Skinny Hot Chocolate is packed with flavor and immune-boosting and antioxidant-filled ingredients, making it perfect to drink in the winter when colds and flus are on the rise! Plus, it has less than half the amount of sugar and fat as typical hot chocolate, so you can feel good about drinking it!
In the winter I CRAVE hot things. This makes sense because where I live, which is on the east-coast in the U.S., it’s freezing! My house is typically pretty cold too, which is where I spend the majority of my life since I work from home. In a nutshell, I want to be warm, and drinking something hot always hits the spot.
Normal people typically run to coffee or tea when they want a hot and comforting drink. Too bad I’m super caffeine sensitive, so coffee is out. I also heavily watch my tea intake since I got kidney stones in April. They were a big reason why I got them. Who knew drinking tea could give you kidney stones?! I sure didn't. If you want to learn what else can cause them (trust me, I was SHOCKED) check out the full article I wrote about my kidney stone experience here.
My love for sweets and chocolate inspired me to create this skinny hot chocolate recipe. It's the perfect solution for a warm and comforting winter drink that you won't feel bad about drinking! Unlike those pre-packaged hot chocolate packages or sugar-filled Starbucks drinks. They have as much sugar as a soda; GROSS!
This recipe only uses a little pure maple syrup to naturally sweeten this yummy drink. Top it with a dollop of So Delicious Coco Whip and some cocoa nibs, and this drink is complete! It tastes and even looks like a decadent drink, without the sugar, fat, and dairy!
Not to mention, I snuck a little turmeric into this skinny hot chocolate. Before you say anything, I promise you can’t taste it! Turmeric has a ton of benefits including reducing inflammation and boosting your immune system, which is essential in the winter when everyone is getting sick. So you can think of this drink as your natural medicine for preventing sickness. I’ll take that over vitamins any day of the week! (Check out my Turmeric Latte recipe to naturally boost your immune system too!)
I use a cocktail shaker to make this drink in the video above. If you have one, use it! It blends it perfectly, plus filters out any clumps since it has a strainer built-in. If you don’t have a mixer, you can whisk the ingredients together in a pan and heat over the stove. This works just as well! Enjoy!
Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram and hashtag #live2thriveKS so I can see all the tasty recipes you make. ♥
Start to Finish: 10 minutes
- 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ Tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 cup (or mug-filled cup) of unsweetened vanilla almond milk, or dairy-free milk of choice
- OPTIONAL TOPPING: 1 Tablespoon of So Delicious Dairy-Free Light Coco Whip Cream
- OPTIONAL TOPPING: ½ Tablespoon cocoa nibs or dark chocolate chips
- Place all the dry ingredients into a cocktail shaker, a small pan, or a medium-sized bowl. Then add in the almond milk and pure maple syrup.
- Shake, or whisk if not using a cocktail shaker, all of ingredients together until smooth.
- Pour into a mug and heat in the microwave for 1 minute and 30 seconds. If you prefer to heat over the stove, heat over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- When heated to your liking, top with coco whip and cocoa nibs, or dark chocolate chips. Enjoy!