The Fourth of July is here! Bring on the cookouts, fireworks, and of course...yummy cocktails! We all know that drinking alcohol isn't healthy, nor do I claim it to be. However, sometimes all you want to do is sip on a refreshing cocktail on a hot summer day.
Unfortunately most mixed drinks are loaded with processed sugar and calories. I was truly shocked when I started to research how many calories were in alcohol, so much so that I wrote an entire chapter explaining the dirty-details in my book, Eat to Thrive: The Anti-Diet Cookbook.
What shocked me the most was realizing that alcohol products are not required to contain nutrition labels, which makes it extremely easy to blindly consume 1,000 calories on a fun night out.
Ignorance is not bliss when small dough-like shapes begin to form on your thighs. I'm referring to every woman's worst nightmare; cellulite. Fortunately I created a cocktail that has less than 100 calories and tastes AMAZING! So you CAN indulge WITHOUT the bulge ;)
This guilt-free grapefruit mojito recipe was inspired by my love for grapefruit crushes. They're seriously addictive and used to be my go-to summer drink. This delicious drink also packs in a whopping 263 calories, which is why I immediately began my search for a lower calorie option. After a few rounds of trial and error, this tasty recipe was born!
If you don't care for the alcohol, this drink tastes great as a "mocktail". I usually drink the mocktail version of this drink during the day while working and love it! I also prefer this drink without the agave nectar which is why I left this ingredient as an option. Not adding agave cuts down on the calories and sugar, however if you prefer a sweeter drink, 1/2 tablespoon of agave nectar will do the trick! Best of all it will only add 8 grams of sugar and 30 calories, so you can still indulge without the bulge! Enjoy!
Start to finish: 1 minute
- 1, 1oz. shot of grapefruit flavored white rum (I like Bacardi's grapefruit rum)
- 8 oz., or 1, 12oz. can, of grapefruit flavored no-sugar-added seltzer water
- 1/2 lime
- 4-5 mint leaves
- 1/4 grapefruit
- 3-4 ice cubes
- 1/2 tablespoon of agave nectar (optional)
- Add the mint leaves to an 8-12oz. glass. Using a muddler, or the back of a wooden spoon, muddle the mint leaves until they become fragrant. Muddle means to press the mint against the side of the glass to release its flavors.
- Slice a piece of the grapefruit into a 1 inch wedge (it will look like a triangle). Cut a slit in the center of the slice horizontally. Set aside.
- Squeeze the juice from the remaining grapefruit into the glass. Squeeze the juice from the lime into the glass. Mix well.
- Add the shot of rum and ice. Mix well.
- OPTIONAL: Add in 1/2 tablespoon agave nectar. Mix well.
- Garnish the glass with the wedge of grapefruit. Drink immediately.
You can easily make this drink into a "mocktail" by removing the alcohol. It tastes just as great without and would cut this drink down to only 25 calories!