The beloved Valentine's Day holiday is here, and since I have a HUGE sweet tooth, I used this day as an excuse to experiment with making some tasty and healthy gluten-free mixed berry protein pancakes. This is the perfect breakfast to serve your loved one on Valentine's Day morning, possibly with a freshly squeezed mimosa in bed. After all, nothing shows true love like a home-cooked meal; and later when indulging in a few chocolate covered strawberries and one too many glasses of wine, you can happily say that you started your day off on a “sweetly” healthy note!
Even though these pancakes are not as thick as normal pancakes (they are more so the consistency of a crepe), they are delicious and extremely filling due to the added protein from the Greek yogurt and protein powder. I recommend serving them with fresh berries, a nut butter of your choice, and organic berry preserves. Hope you enjoy!
- 1 ½ cups mixed berry greek yogurt (I used a variety of strawberry and blackberry flavors, and this equals about 2 individual Greek yogurts)
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup vanilla protein powder (I used Whey)
- ¼ cup gluten-free flour
- 2 tbsp of skim milk or unsweetened Almond milk - add up to ¼ cup milk to thin to desired consistency.
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp of coconut oil for greasing the pan
- 2 tbsp all natural berry preserves
- 2 tbsp peanut butter or nut butter
- Handful of fresh berries
Serving size: 2-3 meals
1. Add all the ingredients into a food processor or blender and mix on low/medium speed. Mix in additional milk if you like thinner pancakes.
2. In a large pan on medium heat, add 1 tbsp of coconut oil. Pour batter into pan forming 3-4 inch circles. Flip after 1-2 minutes when bubbles start to form. Cook both sides to liking.
3. Serve with fresh berries, nut butter, and organic berry preserves, or toppings of your choice!