I partnered up with ALDI to create these gluten-free Chocolate Peppermint No-Bake Energy Balls! They are the perfect healthy holiday treat for your holiday party or gatherings so you and your guests can indulge without the bulge!
Eating healthy during the holidays can seem impossible. With dozens of holiday parties and events that are catered with cakes, cookies, chocolate treats, and more, it’s no wonder most of us feel like we gain 10 pounds by January 1st.
For me, I struggle at these events to walk away from the sweets. I have a HUGE sweet tooth, and could (and unfortunately have more than a few times) demolished a whole plate of chocolate chip cookies in one sitting. My solution, so I don’t die of a heart attack at the age of 26, is to create healthy AND just-as-tasty sweets to enjoy instead.
In search of a healthy holiday-themed recipe that would be perfect for my holiday party, these gooey Chocolate Peppermint No-Bake Energy Balls were born using all ALDI ingredients! They're extremely quick and easy to make (you only need a food processor!) and they contain no-added sugar, so you and your party guests can indulge without the bulge!
The dates add enough sweetness to this recipe so you don’t need to add sugar, and the cocoa powder and dark chocolate chips make this treat taste decadent without being unhealthy. The most unhealthy part of these Chocolate Peppermint No-Bake Energy Balls is the tiny bit of candy canes that serve as a garnish on top. So if you really want to eat healthy, you can omit the candy canes. However, they make these treats look a gourmet dessert and add a satisfying crunch your guests will rave about!
Be careful though, because these Chocolate Peppermint No-Bake Energy Balls will go fast! The last time I made this recipe they were demolished in about 10 minutes, so you might want to make a double or triple batch depending on how many people you’re entertaining.
And just so we're clear...I’m not against eating full-fat fabulous desserts around the holidays, but this treat will hold you over in between helpings of the real-deal.
Want more holiday recipes? Check out my other holiday recipes I created with ALDI including my Sweet Potato Rounds with Herbed Ricotta, Cranberry and Pistachios, Bacon Wrapped Dates, and Vegan Cashew and Basil "Cheese" Dip!
A summary of all these healthy holiday party appetizer recipes can be found here.
Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram and hashtag #live2thriveKS so I can see all the tasty recipes you make. ♥
Start to Finish: 10 minutes
Servings: 10 balls
- ½ cup cup Southern Grove Almonds, raw
- 4 pitted Southern Grove Dates , soaked in warm water for 5-10 minutes
- 1 tablespoon Baker’s Corner Baking Cocoa
- ¾ teaspoon Stonemill Vanilla Extract
- ⅛ teaspoon Stonemill Peppermint Extract
- 2 tablespoons Simply Nature Organic Coconut Oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon Baker’s Corner dark chocolate morsels
- 2 crushed peppermint candy canes
*Every ingredient used in this recipe is from ALDI
- Add the almonds into a food processor and chop into small pieces. Add the dates and blend well. It will be a thick and gooey consistency.
- Add the cocoa powder, vanilla extract, peppermint extract, and 1 tablespoon coconut oil. Blend for several minutes until the mixture starts to combine. Add a couple drops of water if necessary to help it blend.
- Add the chocolate chips and pulse a few more times to combine well, blending only slightly so the chocolate chips are still mainly enacted.
- Rub 1 tablespoon of coconut oil onto the palms of your hands. (This will prevent the mixture from sticking.)
- Place a heaping teaspoon of the mixture into your hand and roll into a ball, using your palms to form a ball.
- Roll each ball in the crushed peppermint. Eat immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge.