I love the taste of coffee, but generally avoid drinking it because my energy levels spin out of control when I consume caffeine. If you haven't noticed, I’m pretty high-energy already, so caffeine and I do not mix. When pondering coffee alternatives with immense amounts of health benefits, turmeric drinks immediately came to mind.
You may be familiar with turmeric in the form of a tasty curry dish. Turmeric gives curry its bright yellow color and is loaded with health benefits including:
- Reducing inflammation
- Boosting immune system
- Regulating blood sugar levels
- Reducing cholesterol
- Preventing heart disease
- Improving digestion
The biggest benefit turmeric is known for is reducing inflammation. This is largely due to curcumin, the most potent compound found in turmeric. A 2004 study published in the journal Oncogene showed that turmeric was just as powerful, if not more powerful, than aspirin and ibuprofen at reducing inflammation. Reducing inflammation will not only make you feel better, but can reduce your risk of developing certain diseases such as cancer, arthritis, and high cholesterol. Pretty powerful stuff.
Combining turmeric with cinnamon and ginger makes this drink one of the most powerful immune boosting and inflammation reducing drinks on the planet.
Just like turmeric, cinnamon and ginger are known for having immense health benefits such as reducing inflammation, protecting against heart disease, and boosting your immune system. They also make a super tasty drink when paired together. To me, drinking this every day is a no-brainer to feeling great and living a long and thriving life.
I prefer to make this drink with coconut milk because of its rich flavor and consistency, however you can use any dairy-free milk of your choice. If you use fat-free dairy-free milk, add the coconut oil. The fat will help your body absorb the vital nutrients in this drink so you can reap all of its powerful benefits.
Start to finish: 5 minutes
- 1 ½ cups coconut milk (or dairy-free milk of your choice)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- ½ teaspoon agave nectar, or natural sweetener of your choice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon coconut oil (optional. See notes above.)
- Add all ingredients into a small saucepan and mix together with a whisk. Heat just until bubbles start to form. The drink will be hot but not boiling.
- Using a whisk or a handheld milk frother, whisk the ingredients together until a foam begins to form on top. It should resemble the consistency of a latte.
- Pour into your favorite mug and enjoy!
Tip: If in a rush, make a big batch in advance and keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days. Reheat and drink throughout the week!